Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Unloading bales

We are super blessed with cool weather this week so far. Since we knew the cooler weather was coming, we delayed unloading the square bales into the barn until this week. It was a very wise decision.

This is just a short video for those of you that might not have really seen much of this before. Plus, it gave me an excuse to not have to help for a little bit ;-)


When my high school basketball coach told us that we needed to get stronger during the summer, he knew that many of us worked on the farm and couldn't be expected to drive nearly 40 miles every morning just to lift. But he also understood that we were doing something like this and it more than made up for it.

I was probably in my early teens when I first started moving the bales. At that time I don't think I even weighed 100 pounds yet. And if I did, it wasn't much over 100. So, lifting 50-70 lb bales over and over and over...well, it built some muscle eventually, but I relied a lot on learning the correct technique to make things easier.

The kid that you see stacking the bales in the barn started working for us when he had just finished 8th grade. He weighed MAYBE 85 pounds that summer. Some of our bales were so heavy that I literally had to lift one end and he would lift the other. I'm sure several of them outweighed him.This year he will be a senior in high school and has definitely gotten the hang of moving bales.

No comments:

Post a Comment