Monday, July 14, 2014

Fueling Up

There are so many things that I don't realize I have learned through the years, until I take a picture and then realize that might not be something that people do on an everyday basis.

Saturday I was going to go run combine for a bit, but I got up there and made one round before the fuel light came on. Since I was the only one around, I had to fuel it up by myself.

It is important to make sure a diesel implement does not run out of fuel completely. I've been reminded of this over and over through the years. It isn't like a gas vehicle. Instead, you have to prime the pump before it will start and it is a time-consuming process.

So instead of opting for that, I went ahead and did a fuel run with the farm pickup.
First things first, you have to fill the fuel tank on the back of the pickup.

Once you get to the field, you need to hook the pump for the tank up to the battery on the pickup. These battery cables have caused me problems in the past. It isn't always very easy to figure out which cable is positive and which is negative. One time I hooked them up backwards and the pump did run. But I couldn't figure out why no diesel was coming out of the nozzle. For some reason I decided to take the cap off of the fuel tank...and diesel exploded back in my face! It had been pumping air into the tank instead of pumping the diesel out of it. Lesson learned.

Then you get to finally start the process of putting the diesel in the combine. Gotta make sure the pickup is close enough for the hose to reach.
These aren't exactly the small little fuel tanks you have on your highway vehicle...so it takes a while to fill them up. How long? Definitely long enough to take ridiculous selfies while waiting ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment