Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Too tired to title

I was being a little lazy this time and couldn't figure out how to title this Scoop. Here is a brief glimpse of why I was tired yesterday.

This  is our first wheat field. Impressive, right? 
Not so much. It did look better towards the middle of the field, but the drought did a doozy on our wheat harvest. 
Older generation and younger generation working together to get things started and going on the combine. 
Our equipment isn't the newest and greatest, so we don't have a built-in moisture monitor on our combine (actually, I think we might, but it doesn't work). This is how dad tests the moisture of our wheat. You put a sample of wheat in it, screw the lid on as tight as necessary and then it gives you a moisture reading. If the moisture is too high, the elevator doesn't like to accept it and it isn't very safe to put in a grain bin. So it is always necessary to test it before sending a load to town.
That was only part of the day. While I was mowing, dad came and got me and we had to go move our cattle back to where they were supposed to be. They have a tendency to wander...although is is much better now that they have some green grass.

When not helping others, this has been my view for the week. Mowing, mowing and more mowing. I'm not complaining at all. But it is a battle to keep those obnoxious pig weeds away. 
Ahhh...that's a much better view.
As a farm kid, you have to learn to drive a wide array of vehicles. These are just two more of the vehicles I drove...all in the same day! I might not have driven them for long amounts of time, but it was necessary for me to help shuffle them around for the day's tasks.  
We've been doing a bit of square baling when we can fit it in. No, I didn't do any baling, but I did have to back it into the shed with this tractor and then help unhook the tractor to take it over and hook it up to our unloading auger for wheat.
This is the view that makes my mom REALLLYYY nervous (and me a little bit, too.) Neither one of us are fond of heights and we don't exactly love it when dad has to climb up to open the top of the bin during harvest. But it is necessary and he has done it hundreds of times. At least we would rather have him do it during this type of weather than in the middle of a thunderstorm...which he has been known to do. He has to keep his crop dry, which sometimes requires climbing up in the middle of bad weather to close the top.

So, there ya have it. We are a multi-tasking family around here. But at least it keeps you on your toes and gives ya a lot of marketable skills ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment