Monday, August 3, 2015

FAIRly wonderful

I spoke in an earlier blog about our fantastic county fair. I never tire of hearing the wonderful things visitors say about our community and the fair that we put on each summer.

We attended the Friday morning beef show. It is about the only place you will see a determined little 2nd grader who weighs about 60 lbs. try to impose her will on 1,315 pounds of muscly steer. It is pretty funny. But don't you dare tell that little girl that she can't do it. She basically leans with her entire body weight and finally the steer might relent. Oh, and that little girl won Grand Champion Market Steer with her animal.

Here is a photo of the division champions being judged. 
A livestock show is also probably the only place you will hear the judge say he is now going to "go out and slap our champion." Generally, slapping the winner isn't considered a good thing. But in the world of livestock, it is the ultimate compliment to see the judge head towards you, slap your animal on the rear, then remove their hat and shake your hand. 

When we were in 4-H we didn't spend near as much time handling and taming our animals as some of the competitors...so if the judge ever headed my way, my heart skipped a beat thinking maybe I had won and then it was immediately followed by a fear that my steer would kick the judge if he got slapped on the rump! For the record, I never won and the judge never got kicked ;-)

Saturday was a long day for everyone. It was filled with a 5K run/10K bike ride early in the morning, followed by the parade, then a fundraiser hot dog roast at one of the city parks, the Little Wrangler Rodeo, swimming at the pool, turtle races, a fundraiser BBQ for the Wallace County Ministerial Alliance, the livestock auction, the final night of the carnival and finally the fireworks. And yes, this 9 month pregnant lady went to almost every single one of those events except for the early 5K run/10K bike ride. I was worn out by the end of the night!

However, no matter how worn out I was, waiting around for the fabulous fireworks was so worth it. My poor piddly camera on my phone does the fireworks absolutely no justice. But I was so taken by the sight of the fairgrounds crowded with hundreds of people, and every single person stopped in their tracks with their eyes looking up to the skies, that I had to take a picture to at least attempt to capture the moment.
So, another fair is in the books...and most of the community probably took naps on Sunday ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment