Monday, January 19, 2015

Deer hunting

Well, this post is pretty late, but thought I would update you all on my deer hunting escapades. We hunted the entire season...and I didn't get a deer.

Deer have an uncanny sense of when they are being hunted. We had been watching some big bucks for weeks prior to when the season opened, and then when we could actually hunt them they disappeared.

After striking out on our ground, my brother-in-law put me on some bucks. The first was a small whitetail, which I missed. Then the second one was actually two nice bucks together...and I missed. I hunt with my husband's black powder gun and that means that unless the deer is really, really dumb, I only get one shot at it and I also have to be closer than if I would have a rifle. But I also like the challenge of it and, quite honestly, the excuse I have if I don't get a deer ;-) It also seems to hurt less when it kicks. I'm not a fan of guns with a lot of kick.

I was pretty mad I didn't get a deer this year, but I guess that's how it goes.

However, it was a gorgeous time of year and at least I got to enjoy the scenery ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment