Monday, October 6, 2014

The first freeze

The first freeze is always something farmers watch with great interest. If it comes early, it has the possibility of hurting crops. We know that it is something that has to happen and it is also something that is planned for.

In terms of our garden, we are more or less sick of tending a garden by the time the first freeze comes along. So we don't mind too much if it freezes our vegetables and kills them. One item that my dad has to keep a close eye on is his beloved sweet potatoes. I don't care for them, and neither does my husband...but for the sake of my dad, we help out with them.

Once the tops of them freeze, you need to cut off the tops so it doesn't affect the potato in the ground. Dad was gone for the first freeze, so I got the honors of cutting off the tops Saturday morning.


As you can see, the tops are clearly wilted.
So I took my trusty pair of scissors, cut off the tops about 2 or 3 inches from the ground, and we will dig them up at a later date.

The trick is that you have to leave enough showing that you can find them later! It can be tricky finding them after the vines and leaves are all dead and blend in with the surrounding dirt color.


No comments:

Post a Comment