Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Welcome to this world

Since some people might not understand what it means when we "pull" a calf during calving season, I thought I might take this time to document it. My supper was interrupted last night to help dad deliver this little guy.
 The young heifer had been working to have her calf for probably three hours. We like to let them have them naturally, but sometimes it just isn't possible. In the above picture you can see her amniotic sac hanging out. We first tied her up so she didn't move around too much.
 Dad had to put on his operating equipment.

 Next we have to loop a chain around the hooves of the calf. The chains have been disinfected before we do this.
 There are quite a few steps that I missed, but I was a bit busy helping dad pull on the chains to get the calf out. It's tongue was swollen and it was a pretty big calf for a heifer. Dad said he would have to look at what bull he bred her with and make a note of it since it made for a difficult calving situation.
 It's funny and sweet to see a big, gruff rancher being so gentle and talking to a baby calf the way they do to make sure the little guy is ok and breathing right.
 Poor mom didn't want to get up after this rough ordeal.
 She was pretty happy to see her baby was doing ok.
Another observation for the night: Don't set your camera somewhere and forget to make mention of it to your dad. He put one of his manure covered gloves on it when he had to change gloves in the middle of the job. Thus, a manure covered camera ;-)

Now, if you'll excuse me, my dad just phoned me and I'm on call again as we have another heifer "brewing" in the barn. Might be time to help welcome another one into the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment