Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Casserole Kindness

It seems that I have been oblivious to a lot of things during my life. After having Baby Farmgirl, I have figured out that I was clueless about the western Kansas etiquette after someone has a baby.

You see, this photo might look like a lowly ol' casserole dish. But it is so much more.

During those first sleep-deprived weeks, my husband and I were just struggling to get from day to day and learn the joys and tribulations that come with having a child. It was all I could do just to keep her fed, let along figure out meals for the adults in the household.

This is where the casserole dish comes into play. I'm not sure if this is a custom in other parts of the country or world, but I have to contend that I feel like it is something fairly unique to small communities. You see, when we were barely functioning, we had neighbors, friends, and family members showing up at our house with meals! It...was...AWESOME! My high school friend actually sent us home from the hospital with one meal and breakfast burritos in tow.

It is safe to say that my husband and I were very well fed. My mother filled in the gaps when we didn't have a meal already supplied and she would call us to tell us she would be bringing us a meal. And if she wasn't bringing us a meal, she was bringing us dessert (which in my husband's opinion is probably better).

You see, this casserole dish represents so much more than keeping us physically fed. It represents love, thoughtfulness, compassion and so many more things. We were being fed physically and spiritually. I am horrible at writing thank you notes. I always intend to and then the moment gets away from me and months later I still haven't managed to write any. Then I just hope that my countless thank yous to them while receiving the gift will suffice.

So, in case any of you reading this are the people that supplied meals or showered us with gifts for our dear Baby Farmgirl, please know that you are not forgotten. We love you all so much and can never thank you enough for all that you have done for us. I only hope that we may one day be able to repay the kindness that you all have shown us.

Oh, and days after we had been receiving all sorts of house guests, I realized this was the sight that greeted them as soon as they exited their vehicles to walk up our front sidewalk.
Nothing says "welcome to the farm" like the dogs leaving a strategically placed jaw bone from a deceased animal in their pathway. Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment